I hope that you like the products I recommend below. As an Amazon Associate, I can earn commissions on qualifying purchases. This means that I could earn commissions if you purchase products through the links in this page.
Folding bikes have been around over 100 years. One would expect that there would be more tall folding bikes. Since the 1980s, these types of bikes have grown in popularity. 1970’s, However, there are very few options available for tall people.
A folding bike may not be for everyone but they serve an important purpose for many cyclists. Convenience while traveling. While there are plenty of standard bicycle options for tall men, folding bikes offer more space.
Here are 5 folding bikes that will suit tall people, including one that folds down into a small size. With people as tall as 6’7″ covered, it’s nice to know there is an option for almost everyone.
Quick Links to Information on This Page
Compare tall persons folding bikes by their height
|21″ Frame, 26′ Wheels, Folds Down to 35″x30″,x15″, Shimano 27 Speed Deore Index Shifting, Monocoque Carbon Fork||6’7″||Amazon Price Comparison|
|21″ Frame, 4-in-1 RackStand: A Cargo rack, Mud Guard and KickStand. 21 Speed||6’4″||Check Amazon Price|
|Standover height 29.13″, 1.95″ Wide tires, SR Suntour suspension fork 18 Speed, 20 Frame||6’4″||Amazon Price Comparison|
|Made in USA Shimano Revo 7 speed Grip Style Shifter, Shimano Shimano Tourney 7speed Derailleur, Shimano Revo 7 Speed Grip Style Shifter. Double Wall Rims.||6’4″||Amazon Price Check|
|Electric folding bike, 350W motor, speeds of up to 20mph Shimano Tourney 7 speed LCD Pedal Assist.||6’3″||Check Amazon Price|
Best Folding Bike For Tall Adults Up To 6’7″
For taller people who are looking to take their biking to the next level and don’t mind spending a good amount, then this bike from Flatbike is a great option.
This folding hybrid bike can handle all the different terrains out there so if you’re a city traveler or a mountain biker, this model can do it all. Like most hybrid bikes, it can handle all terrains. Road bikes for tall personsThe convenience of being large comes with a price.
This bike’s light weight of 23.1 lbs is something I love. It is at the lower end on the scale. A big part of this is thanks to the aluminum frame that has been T.I.G welded meaning that it’s not just lightweight, but very durable as well.
If there is one company that you want your bike crank to be made out of it’s Shimano. This bike features the Shimano DeORE Crank set 44/32/22T. It is one of my favorites on the market and offers great performance and smooth riding.
- You’re able to fit this bike in a standard car trunk which does make transporting it very easy.
- The bike’s ability to ride on various terrains is unmatched. This makes it a worthwhile investment if your goal is to make your riding more serious.
- This bike is great if you’re not the strongest person since it’s so lightweight making it easy to carry and move around.
- Folding this bike can take a bit to get used to but once you do it’s fairly easy and quick to do.
- Sadly this bike is expensive and can break the bank, so it’s not for everyone and really only for those who do or plan on taking their riding very seriously. It’s worth the money in my opinion, but I can understand why people are put off by the price.
Urban Folding Bike for Tall Riders
Up to 6’4″
Montague created this bike as a city bike. You can see it from afar. It feels like a mix of a a and a. Cruiser bike A mountain bike with enough power to handle both. Montague’s city bike is a great choice. It offers many great features and a smooth ride.
The frame of a folding bicycle might seem a bit fragile. That’s not the case since Montague made the clever design choice of making sure there were no breaks in the frame. It has no structural weaknesses, making it durable.
It’s impressive they’ve managed to keep the weight down with this bike considering how solid the frame is. The bike’s weight of around 34lbs makes it easy for you to transport in an elevator or put in the trunk of your car.
This bike has a lot of industry-standard components. I love that the bike can be taken to any shop for repairs if it goes wrong.
- If you’re looking for a great city bike and don’t need the ability to go mountain biking then this bike is a great option. It’s one of the best city riders on the market in my opinion.
- Something that can’t be overlooked is the RackStand that acts like a luggage carrier, mudguard, work stand, and kickstand. This unique feature adds tremendous value and is very useful.
- Unfortunately, this bike can cause taller people to be turned off. That is the stem or handlebars don’t raise up which does mean that you have to lean forward more than other bikes. To make this less problematic, you can purchase an extension.
Tall People’s Folding Mountain Bike
Up to 6’4″
Mountain bikes for tall persons They are popular because they give taller people the extra height they require. For the ease of traveling, it is no surprise that tall people desire a folding mountain bicycle.
Montague’s ability to create bikes for one purpose might be something you have noticed. This model is designed for mountain biking, but their last model was great for city riding.
The tough 20″ frame is made out of durable aluminum that also keeps the weight down. It is surprisingly lighter than the city model at 32 pounds thanks to this.
Important Mountain Bike Features
A good suspension system is essential for a mountain bike. The SR Suntour suspension fork was chosen by the team because it is capable of handling all kinds of terrain, including roots and rocks.
Montague’s mountain bike has thicker and larger wheels that can handle the tough stuff. Combining the 1.95″ wheels with the SR suspension will give you a nice smooth ride that can handle the tough stuff.
- My opinion, this is one of the best folding bikes available for mountain biking. Ideal for tall people who want mountain biking, or for those who need something more stable.
- Montague chose Shimano’s 18-speed drivetrain and made the smart decision to go with them. Choosing Shimano means you’re going to get something that’s tough and reliable, two things you want in your mountain bike.
- Although this bike was made for mountain riding, it can also be used for city riding. You won’t have to worry about cracks in the road thanks to it being designed for the tough stuff.
- It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but there is no suspension in the seat which can get a little uncomfortable at times. This isn’t a big issue but something that could be improved upon.
Mini folding bike for tall people
Up T0 6’3″
You might not be immediately impressed by this bike. However, it is a great example of the incredible work Euro-Mini Zizzo has done. It is a bike that can adapt to a variety of users thanks to its adjustability.
Euro-Mini Zizzo made the majority of this bike from aluminum to keep it light. They did an impressive job since they’ve managed to get it down to 27lbs making it one of the lightest bikes on this list. It’s second only to Flatbike, the expensive and impressive bike.
The Shimano 7 speed grip-style Shimano shifter is something I love about this bike. This allows for a smoother gear change, making the bike very comfortable.
King Of Comfort
This bike has a great feature: you can adjust its seat and handlebars. You’re able to set it up to work for someone who is 4’8″ to an impressive 6’3″. This versatility is very useful for getting into a comfortable riding position. This alone makes it my favorite bike.
- It is suitable for all ages, thanks to the ease of adjustment that you can make. This makes it a very comfortable ride.
- Taller people tend to need things more expensive. Which is one of the reasons I like this bike as it doesn’t break your wallet like a lot of other bikes for taller people do.
- There isn’t a lot of downsides to this bike with the biggest downside for me is the lower weight capacity of 240lbs. Some taller people may find this capacity a little too small.
An Electric Folding Bike for Tall People
An electric bike is a great choice because it makes your life much easier. However, buying an electric bike is like any other purchase. Electric bike for tall personsThe measurment must fit properly, or it will be a waste.
Qualisports could just have made this bike an electric bike and said that was enough. But they did more than that to create an exceptional electric bike.
This electric bike is lightweight because of the aluminum frame. Personally, I don’t think the 36lbs is too heavy but for some people who need the extra assistance of an electric bike, it might be.
The most important thing for an electric bike is the battery. This bike has a Samsung 36V 7Ah lithium-ion battery. The battery can be charged in just 3 hours, which is remarkable considering that other electric bikes can take up to 6 hours.
It is difficult to know how long a battery will last. There are a lot of variables including how hard you push it, the terrain you’re on, and how much weight are you carrying. It can easily handle a 2-hour bike ride that isn’t too strenuous and still has plenty of life left over.
- The electric bike makes it easy to travel through the city, particularly when you are on a hill.
- When you first get this bike it’s fully assembled with you only needing to connect the battery to the controller. It’s easy to test the bike out and get it going without spending hours building it.
- Fully adjustable seat and handlebars allow for people up to 6’3″ to be able to use this bike.
- It is a great feature, but it is expensive. Although the benefits may not be worth it, those who pay will still get an electric bike of high quality.
Are taller riders required to have bigger wheels?
A bike’s size can have a significant impact on your ability to do many things you may not have thought of. Especially if you’re a taller person since the average rider has never shared the experience you have had when attempting to ride a bike that’s too small for you.
The answer to the tricky question “Do taller riders need larger wheels?” can be complicated. Depending on what type of bike you have, the wheels may affect your ride more or less. On your standard road bike and hybrids, the wheels don’t matter too much since the wheels don’t change a lot.
Mountain Bike Difference
Mountain bikes offer a unique experience because their wheels can be made to have different heights. Going with a standard 15″ frame and adding a 27.5″ wheel on it will make it the frame be roughly 15.75″. Then changing the wheel to a 29″ will make that same frame now measure 16.5″.
So the wheels on a mountain bike can affect the height of a bike which might affect if you’re a taller person. Thankfully it doesn’t affect it as much as you might think and isn’t something that should be the biggest concern for you when riding.
While some salesman will try and upsell you on larger wheels if you’re a taller person it’s not crucial. The size of the wheel is better suited for what you’re doing and not how tall you are which doesn’t make that much of a difference.
A common topic that gets mentioned a lot is that men and women have different sizes of bikes. Thankfully that’s not the case as it’s the height that matters and not whether you’re male or female.
Important: Measure your inseam
It is important to measure your inseam. This will help you determine what size bike you need. Finding out what your inseam is will help a lot with when you’re trying to purchase a bike online as you will be able to tell if a bike will be the right height for you.
Your inseam measurement will assist you in a variety of ways when buying a bike. When you are looking for a bike, your inseam measurement will help determine the right size frame.
As you might have noticed I consider it very important to measure your inseam before purchasing a bike whether it’s online or not. This measurement is one of the best ways of telling you what’s the best-sized bike for you so I highly recommend you find out what your size is beforehand. Whether you’re after a folding bike for tall people or not, the tire size and inseam measurements need to be considered.